Bahi's moving up in the world

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Re: Bahi's moving up in the world

Postby sonicmarshmallow » Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 pm

What's most interesting about this is that it's a very charismatic DEBUT. Sure Bahi is well known in internet animation circles, but rather than starting on a TV production inbetweening, or animating shots with little movement as a tester, Bahi went straight in to doing not only genga, but solo shots, inbetweening himself. For this reason, showcasing his characteristic sense of movement, the animation director should be commended. Their putting faith in this young Austrian (Who was telecommuting, don't forget) certainly paid off.

For me one of the most impressive things, mentioned above by Leedar, was how Bahi managed to pack so much in a storyboard that pretty much flew by. I've found myself it's hard to properly time out a storyboard/animatic for animation; there are always shots that need to be extended because a single image in the storyboard describes a movement that could take twice its duration in the storyboard timing/animatic.
sonicmarshmallow

Postby bahijd » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:36 pm

I've read all the comments, thanks a lot everyone!
Lots of interesting & honest thoughts and I'm very happy about it ( ^o^)

But I think Ben is planning an interview, that's the reason why I'm holding so long with the reply (;;;;;^_^)
Hope he will pick up some questions from here too.

And hopefully, I will also get permission to upload the rough layouts and genga on my website, I think it would be very interesting to check them out.

Also, I don't have permission to talk about all aspects of the production yet.

But anyway, really interesting thoughts here.

And about the rotoscope issue:
I don't know, when people say that it looks like rotoscope, then I probably did a good job on making the animation look realistic XD so I'm both happy and sad LOL. sad because the effort, power & time I put into this can't be recognized by everyone, but it's ok, I think it's normal that some people think like that.

And I'm really thankful to the whole production team for giving me this opportunity to work on the crowd shots, I had lots of freedom too (also I was really glad that I could do in-betweens).
bahijd

Postby JacobYBM » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 am

Wow, this is awesome. Big kudos to you, Bahi, for working your way up to working on an actual Japanese cartoon. I find it hilarious that your debut is so controversial on 4Chan, but I hope you continue to get more chances like this. From what little I've seen of your work, you've got the talent to be another Ryou Chimo or Yamashita Shingo. I hope you can get work on other titles, espicially battle centric ones.

Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration to all nerdy animators!

P.S. are you able to divulge how many key and in-between frames you did?
JacobYBM

Postby H Park » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 am

I think 4Chan is full of western anime fans who don't understand a thing about animation production process and tend to overrate style over substance. Anime is pan-Asiatic production nowadays because works are farmed out to various Asian countries. Is it bad for non-Japanese to make professional debut? We see Koreans drawing animation for major anime titles and Vietnamese and Thai painting backgrounds.
H Park

Postby bahijd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks a lot guys!
I'm really glad people enjoyed the interview!

JacobYBM wrote:P.S. are you able to divulge how many key and in-between frames you did?

I did all of it, ( ; ^0^) just count the drawings in the cuts XD

H Park wrote: Is it bad for non-Japanese to make professional debut? We see Koreans drawing animation for major anime titles and Vietnamese and Thai painting backgrounds.

Some people are ridiculous, and I'll be honest, it's racist and childish.
Talent doesn't come from a country, it comes from the heart & mind of people.

There are many talented non-Japanese artists/animators who do a great job in the anime industry currently.
But still, I just don't like to compare/judge people from where they come from, they are just lots of talented and passionate people working in the industry and that's a good thing, people should get over it.....4chan is just LOL, comments/criticisms coming from some places on 4chan full of funny and wtf internet junk should not be taken too serious, if we take them too serious, we will go nuts XD
(except some few good 4chan animation threads)

Edit: btw, I'm working on a new project, a bigger one ( ^0^) it will be very exciting!
I'll inform you all when everything is official.
bahijd

Postby Pandadice » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Hopefully you find sometime in between commercial ventures to finish up that short film you're working on :D
Pandadice

Postby bahijd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

Pandadice wrote:Hopefully you find sometime in between commercial ventures to finish up that short film you're working on :D

thx, I will!
But I need to gain more knowledge and experience in animation industry before continuing my own animation project.
All this experience will be very useful later.
bahijd

Postby timdrage » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:48 am

Cartoon Brew paid attention to my submission for once ^__^
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/anime/meet-b ... mator.html
Tim Drage - Animator, Noisician
http://www.spiteyourface.com - animation
http://www.cementimental.com - noise
timdrage

Postby H Park » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:29 am

timdrage wrote:Cartoon Brew paid attention to my submission for once ^__^

Great Job. Do you send your submissions to Cartoon Brew often?
H Park

Postby bahijd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:04 am

:D Thanks a lot Tim XD

I saw it two days ago, really surprised me & blew my mind ! thx!

Just a small note, actually I was born in Austria/Vienna and also live there.
Last edited by bahijd on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahijd

Postby timdrage » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am

H Park wrote:Great Job. Do you send your submissions to Cartoon Brew often?

Don't bother that often actually, it's kind of pearls before swine and a when I do it often seems to get ignored in favour of a bunch of trollish tabloid drama stuff about the US animation industry or trivial disney merchandise nostalgia etc... In this case I thought Bahi deserved some good coverage and I'm pleased they actually used it!

Just one thing about "Iranian-born kid living in Vienna">> actually I was born in Austria/Vienna, but yea I consider myself as iranian since my parents are born there. (; ^o^) I feel attached to both of these places.

Ah i see ^__^. I just sent them a very brief synopsys and they wrote the actual article + those details.
timdrage

Postby Greg W » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:15 pm

What are some of the other submissions you sent them, Tim Drage? I'd like to know what they are.
Greg W

Postby pete » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 am

bahijd wrote:

:D Thanks a lot Tim XD

I saw it two days ago, really surprised me & blew my mind ! thx!

Just one thing about "Iranian-born kid living in Vienna">> actually I was born in Austria/Vienna, but yea I consider myself as iranian since my parents are born there. (; ^o^) I feel attached to both of these places.

There is nothing wrong with the description.
"Iranian-born" means actually you were born by Iranian parents anywhere in the world. Or else it would be "Iran-born", even if your parents werent Iranian!
Leedar:
Ben works in mysterious ways
pete

Postby bahijd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:59 am

I see.
Last edited by bahijd on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
bahijd

Postby timdrage » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 am

Greg W wrote:What are some of the other submissions you sent them, Tim Drage? I'd like to know what they are.

Actually not much recently at all to be fair, last thing I suggested to no apparent avail (and I've sure they must have had a few more recommendations to cover it too) was M dot Strange's Heart String Marionette.
timdrage

PreviousNext

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion