Dr. Who anime

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Dr. Who anime

Postby H Park » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm

What's your take on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePtj3z8rSq4

I think it's cool, but it's also jarring.
H Park

Re: Dr. Who anime

Postby bahijd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:05 am

Is that the web anime everyone is talking about?
Last edited by bahijd on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahijd

Postby Leedar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:55 am

I'm pretty sure Paul Johnson (Otaking) is the guy who is obsessed about dark/heavy 80s-style Japanese animation, and thinks the modern minimalist style is ugly and lazy. If you don't have at least three shadow layers in your animation he doesn't want to know about it.

It's logical enough that the great (quantitative sense) lone producers are obsessed in some way, not always good.
Sylvain Chomet wrote:[...] Saying 2D is dead is like saying that a car race is the future of the Tour de France.
Leedar

Postby bahijd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 am

Leedar wrote:I'm pretty sure Paul Johnson (Otaking) is the guy who is obsessed about dark/heavy 80s-style Japanese animation, and thinks the modern minimalist style is ugly and lazy. If you don't have at least three shadow layers in your animation he doesn't want to know about it.

It's logical enough that the great (quantitative sense) lone producers are obsessed in some way, not always good.

(; ^_^)

thanks for the link Leedar......I wonder if it has fluid animation....let's see...I'm gonna take a look at this by the chance. Not sure if it's gonna be good but I really wonder how it's animated.
bahijd

Postby H Park » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

The clip doesn't have fluid animation. If I judge his camera works, designs and composition are, well...he still needs to work on it. Speaking of shadows, even animators who drew those detailed shadows ended up drawing simplified form because of their workload. From what I'm seeing, the artist has to have strong camera works, designs and composition to make those detailed static pictures to work.
H Park

Postby diebuster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Leedar wrote:I'm pretty sure Paul Johnson (Otaking) is the guy who is obsessed about dark/heavy 80s-style Japanese animation, and thinks the modern minimalist style is ugly and lazy. If you don't have at least three shadow layers in your animation he doesn't want to know about it.

I'm 100% sure that Otaking's constant "simple art styles are lazy and objectively bad, 4-tone shading is superior" rants are simply an attention-seeking troll and nothing else. The guy occasionally praises the animation in stuff like Birth, so while he clearly PREFERS super-detailed stuff he's not half as close-minded as his average Internet post would have you believe.

He exaggerates his opinions and lists them as fact in order to get people riled up, create a name for himself and get everyone to watch his animations. He's like an anime fan version of John Kricfalusi, minus the huge amounts of genuine skill and knowledge.
diebuster

Postby H Park » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 pm

I don't know if this Otaking guy is a total troll, basing from his rants. Everyone has different views on how art hould be. If he wants super details, it's better off doing painterly style than doing cel-shading. It brings better harmony with the painted background.

Eventually, he'll give up on multi level shading details once he finds out that he has to draw every tiny details for every single frame.

When we look at Japanese animations, both from 80's to current, the detailed drawings never or rarely move. It's the camera work that creates an illusion that the static picture seems "alive". It's cost efficient and a time saving method. Want to make a cool looking trailer with little or no budget? Simple. Just get camera works squared away.
H Park

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion