How is Korea's status in 2D animation field nowadays?

News announcements, convention info, non-animation discussion, etc.

How is Korea's status in 2D animation field nowadays?

Postby torkuostar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:40 pm

There are a lot of known Japanese professional animators such as Kon Satoshi, Morimoto Koji, Katsuhiro Otomo, Shinya Ohira, Hisashi Mori, etc... Also there should be more who are skilled but not known enough considering Japan's inward characteristic. The thing is that I've never heard any significant Korean animator besides Peter Chung. I know most Korean 2D animators work as in-betweeners for Japanese or American animation productions, and that few studios do exist. The problem is: Even if you compare indie 2D animators, while there are a lot of Japanese and some Chinese like fcp on youtube I've never seen any decent 2D animation work from an individual Korean user... I've uploaded some pencil animations as well but those are all less than 11 seconds or so and use repetitive frames, which is pretty basic. Besides a few occasions like mentioning of Studio MWP or Goindol, I've rarely seen any Korea-related animation issues coming up in Catsuka, too.
The reason for my subject is that I'm looking for a place to work, and I'm thinking about either going back to my home country, Korea, or going to Japan, or just finding workplace here. Do you know any recognizable Korean or American 2D animation studios out there? How can you find them?? All the studios I looked up were advertisement-related, children's or 3D studios. Also I'm thinking about freelancing, but I was advised that it is not a desirable job to do.
I'm really worried and unsure. All I'm doing is just keeping up with the schoolwork, and the school is a public college which doesn't have animation for a major. OTL

P.S. The subculture I'm in is hardly recognized in Korea. It is called cyberpunk. It might have outmoded ring in its rhyme, but it's actually pretty cool if you find out. I became pursuer of cyberculture because of artworks and artists like Morimoto's EXTRA and Tatsuyuki Tanaka. Do you know any related Korean artists?

I would appreciate replies. Thank you.
torkuostar

Re: How is Korea's status in 2D animation field nowadays?

Postby torkuostar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 am

By the way, I just remembered that I have read about Japan's nuclear stats being high in Tokyo, before I wrote this, which now refrain me from thinking about physically going there... even though I feel sorry about it. In history, Korea has suffered numerous casualties by Japan and still has remaining victims of Japanese invasion, but I think Japan also has many victims from the war as well.
torkuostar

Postby St. Toledo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:39 am

torkuostar wrote:By the way, I just remembered that I have read about Japan's nuclear stats being high in Tokyo, before I wrote this, which now refrain me from thinking about physically going there... even though I feel sorry about it. In history, Korea has suffered numerous casualties by Japan and still has remaining victims of Japanese invasion, but I think Japan also has many victims from the war as well.

In the end, I often think it doesn't make matters to me where you choose to stay since much of that should come from experience or interests you may have in either country, it should be be about politics or any historical wounds that are certainly painful to heal. I do think the problem for Korea is that they have yet to really stand out for something animation-wise or in a way that I may say they've finally made their mark outside the outsource jobber it has been for decades. They're certainly getting there, but it's still quite a few ways to go I think.
St. Toledo

Postby torkuostar » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 am

I agree.
torkuostar

Postby H Park » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 am

torkuostar wrote:There are a lot of known Japanese professional animators such as Kon Satoshi, Morimoto Koji, Katsuhiro Otomo, Shinya Ohira, Hisashi Mori, etc... Also there should be more who are skilled but not known enough considering Japan's inward characteristic. The thing is that I've never heard any significant Korean animator besides Peter Chung. I know most Korean 2D animators work as in-betweeners for Japanese or American animation productions, and that few studios do exist. The problem is: Even if you compare indie 2D animators, while there are a lot of Japanese and some Chinese like fcp on youtube I've never seen any decent 2D animation work from an individual Korean user... I've uploaded some pencil animations as well but those are all less than 11 seconds or so and use repetitive frames, which is pretty basic. Besides a few occasions like mentioning of Studio MWP or Goindol, I've rarely seen any Korea-related animation issues coming up in Catsuka, too.
The reason for my subject is that I'm looking for a place to work, and I'm thinking about either going back to my home country, Korea, or going to Japan, or just finding workplace here. Do you know any recognizable Korean or American 2D animation studios out there? How can you find them?? All the studios I looked up were advertisement-related, children's or 3D studios. Also I'm thinking about freelancing, but I was advised that it is not a desirable job to do.
I'm really worried and unsure. All I'm doing is just keeping up with the schoolwork, and the school is a public college which doesn't have animation for a major. OTL

P.S. The subculture I'm in is hardly recognized in Korea. It is called cyberpunk. It might have outmoded ring in its rhyme, but it's actually pretty cool if you find out. I became pursuer of cyberculture because of artworks and artists like Morimoto's EXTRA and Tatsuyuki Tanaka. Do you know any related Korean artists?

I would appreciate replies. Thank you.

It's better to find work here in the U.S. than Korea because there are plenty of hungry & skilled 2D animators in Korea who are willing to work at low wage.

Regardless of economic situation, you can't be choosy about exact career path. Not everyone who studied animation starts their career at Disney, Pixar, or PDI, or Nickelodeon. I have a friend of mine who is animation major worked at an advertisement company for a year. His working condition was horrendous, but he was paid $45/hour. You can't expect media related jobs to be comfy 8 hours a day, 5 days a week work. If you really want to pursue animation as career, I think it's better to sign up at an art school that has good animation major courses.

Nowadays, most animation studios do have a webpage of their own. Koreans being net savvy, it is impossible that a Korean studio without a webpage or blog or something. You gotta do better job on research.

Although I don't pay much attention to Korean studios, I believe there are few Korean studios that do "Anime-style" animation for US TV. I've noticed it on TV lately. Personally I detest such thing because I feel that Koreans have relegated to second-rate imitation of Japanese or Western style. I feel that Korean animation have become just another cheap skilled labor and never bother to find their own unique expressions. I'm sure that someone will disagree with me, but that's the impression I always get when I come across Korean made animations.

Something isn't quite right if you can't find tens, if not, hundreds of decent indie Korean animations on Youtube and other streaming sites.

Have you tried color comic anthologies like "Apple"? It's a collection of Korean comics arts in English. I'm pretty sure it has something related to cyberpunk genre.
H Park

Postby St. Toledo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:54 am

H Park wrote:It's better to find work here in the U.S. than Korea because there are plenty of hungry & skilled 2D animators in Korea who are willing to work at low wage.

Sadly true.

Regardless of economic situation, you can't be choosy about exact career path. Not everyone who studied animation starts their career at Disney, Pixar, or PDI, or Nickelodeon. I have a friend of mine who is animation major worked at an advertisement company for a year. His working condition was horrendous, but he was paid $45/hour. You can't expect media related jobs to be comfy 8 hours a day, 5 days a week work. If you really want to pursue animation as career, I think it's better to sign up at an art school that has good animation major courses.

That's usually the best way I've often told. Too bad I wasted that opportunity.

Although I don't pay much attention to Korean studios, I believe there are few Korean studios that do "Anime-style" animation for US TV. I've noticed it on TV lately. Personally I detest such thing because I feel that Koreans have relegated to second-rate imitation of Japanese or Western style. I feel that Korean animation have become just another cheap skilled labor and never bother to find their own unique expressions. I'm sure that someone will disagree with me, but that's the impression I always get when I come across Korean made animations.

One noted studio I can think of is DR Movie. Certainly that has been the state of Korean animation were too often it either goes the anime route or something closer to the American/western influences.
St. Toledo

Return to Off-topic