Forum logo design contest

News announcements, convention info, non-animation discussion, etc.

Forum logo design contest

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 am

Tim reminded me that I've been too lazy to replace the phpbb logo with my own logo all this time...

Problem is, I can't draw. So I think it would be more fun to hold a contest and get a cool logo from you, the amazing and lovely posters and animators who visit this forum.

Send me a logo (or logos) for the forum to be shown in place of the phpbb image at top left in the form. It can be a still image or an animated gif.

Then we can vote for a winner. (Or alternately, I can just use them all!)

Let me know what you all think.
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Forum logo design contest

Postby bahijd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:03 pm

I will do one but I'm very busy with school right, but I would like to design one for fun (^_^)
bahijd

Postby Leedar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Maybe this is a bit complex, but a randomly rotating selection of logos would be great. I guess that would be contingent on more than one person making one ... ha ha.

Could I plead that you don't allow animated GIFs, or at least looping ones with bombastic action? Regardless of the quality, the general consensus among Web designers is that animations shouldn't get much larger than an emoticon, unless they are the primary content of a page. If you could make it into a SWF with a manual (re)play icon in the corner, that would be good as well.
Sylvain Chomet wrote:[...] Saying 2D is dead is like saying that a car race is the future of the Tour de France.
Leedar

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Yes, provided more than one person provides a logo, I was thinking the same thing - rotating logos. But I'll be happy if I even get one. :)

I understand your point about animated gifs. I know a big loud piece of animation in the logo is frowned upon as being extremely obnoxious for general site design, but I figure this is a special case and would kind of reflect the local culture in a fun way. We can always try it and if it's too annoying change it out with something else.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby H Park » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:30 pm

hmmm...
Time for me to dust off that graphic design manual. Obviously, our local culture talks about artistic process behind foreign animations, mainly Japanese. To make attractive looking logo design, I think everyone who can move their hands, artist or not, should submit rough design concepts first before going for finished one. Ben, since this is your site, I think you should be the "art director" and set direction for desired result.

But first, I need to finish the OCR project. I'm still doing OCR's on these Animage interviews. I wish I could share more interesting paragraphs with other people once I'm done.
H Park

Postby Leedar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Hmm, I would have thought the idea was that the forum has a 'vanilla' theme, so the logo can give some character. There doesn't need to be uniformity; indeed, variety would be preferable. Maybe we could make some mascot characters like Catsuka, unless that doesn't fit with Ben's aesthetic.
Sylvain Chomet wrote:[...] Saying 2D is dead is like saying that a car race is the future of the Tour de France.
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:35 pm

Ooooh, anibbs has grown up!

I'm mos def gonna make a logo (not straight away, I'm very busy at the moment, but I'll certainly make one) but Ben, do you mind if mine says 'aniBBS' instead of 'AniPages Discussion Forum'? It's easier to animate...And you can't draw? Come awwwnnn buddy ged oudda here. You can too...

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot - What size do you want these to be? Probably easier for you if you keep it consistent...
Huw M

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 am

H Park, I was originally thinking more along the lines of what Leedar says. Basically, the more variety, the better. Leave the page layout kind of vanilla, as it is now, and have the logo as a bright spot spicing things up. Let each logo reflect the creator's personality. Leave it up to everyone to come up with something that's their own creation.

But you've got a point too. If I were to decide to customize the color/design scheme the forum (the current one is the default), another option would be to get the logo to match the style... or just match the style of the current theme.

Which I guess brings up the point: is this basic theme OK? Do we proceed to work into this layout?

If we stick with this design, one thing I'm concerned about is whether the blue background of the header bar will complicate creating a custom logo; limit the options. Is it OK as is?

I like the idea of mascots, Leedar... what did you have in mind, just the logo, or both logo and user avatars? Customizing the board that way might be a good idea.

Huw! Size... I was just going to mention that. What's a good size for you guys to work with? The size of the logo up there now is 139 x 52 pixels. Shall we pin it down to something on that order?

And yeah, AniBBS will be fine if you prefer that, Huw.

Whoa, that's a lot to think about... more than I expected. So no rush, Huw. It looks like we still need to hammer out some basic guidelines before anyone gets started.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Huw M » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 am

I was thinking something with a bit more breathing room....Like 200x100 or (even!) 300x100. Whatever works for your taste Mr. E. I wouldn't worry about the theme too much either, just keep the current one or pick something that you think looks good and it'll become background noise in a few months anyway. I'm fine with whatever. I won't be able to do it straight away, I'm quite busy with something pretty cool at the moment (will probably make a post in the near future, it's a bit relevant to people here).

Oh and by the by, I've also been busy studying an Illustration course this year (Living the dream!) so I'll hopefully make a nicer looking animated banner thingy than my last efforts. Cheerio~
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 am

My original thought was incorporating a mascot into the logos, to give provide for consistency, like how Catsuka TV uses Capsuka animations as an interlude.
Leedar

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 am

Huw - Your last effort rocked my world, so I'm sure that anything better would do the next thing and blow my mind (did I miss a step?). Seriously, though, that thing was great. It had of the ingredients of a great old-skool gif animation - Kanada-school FX, UFOs, explosions... the perfect tribute to Anipages.

OK, if I have time I'll look into other themes, but for now let's just assume I'll be sticking with this theme and we put the logo up there in the blue bar.

Hey, we've got a whole blank bar there... look at all that real estate! 300x100 is no problem. If you need more space that's fine too. Let's live it up.

Cool to hear about that illustration course you're taking. I look forward to seeing what mad skills you've learned...

Leedar - I see, so get everyone to incorporate the mascot however they see fit... interesting idea. Though I don't want to tie things down too much, so alternately the mascot could just be 'there' as an option if someone wants to do something with it in their logo.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Leedar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:15 am

But of course.

I'm a little stumped as to what sort of style would be appropriate now that I think about it. Conventional doesn't make sense (unless ironically), but more avant garde would be too distant to be a proper mascot. Or maybe weirdness is fine...
Leedar

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am

Yeah, a mascot is a whole new can of worms, isn't it, though it's certainly rich with possibility. I suppose this is a good opportunity to practice what all the character designers in anime do and sketch out different possible ideas to see what works... I kind of lean towards a Yuasa-esque weird design that moves interestingly, but honestly I'm okay with just about anything - conventional or avant garde or weirdness, whatever tickles your fancy.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bahijd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 am

So...Ben is looking for a Mascot and a Logo if I've understand everything clearly.
Well....I'm with H Park...if you put a mascot and a logo, the Web-Design and color design should also fit to them.

I'm also very busy right now but I would like to create a logo variotion and design a crazy weird Anipages Character.

PS: OH DUDE! I can use an Avatar on Anipages!
Is that ok Ben? it doesn't look like Anipages anymore when there is an Avatar.
bahijd

Postby Leedar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:45 am

bahijd wrote:PS: OH DUDE! I can use an Avatar on Anipages!

Ha ha, your life's dream? :-P
Leedar

Next

Return to Off-topic