Bad inbetween

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Bad inbetween

Postby H Park » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Good example of bad inbetweens/cleanup ruining Sakkan/KA works as I promised on Ben's "Good Morning Althea" post. There about 14-16 inbetween drawings between each key frame. All inbetweens look bad. Trust me.

Escaflowne the movie
Key Frame #1 and the corrected drawing #1

Bad inbeween of Key Frame #1 and #2

Key Frame #2 and the corrected drawing #2 (Note: mistake on mouse shape)

Bad inbeween of Key Frame #2 and #3

Key Frame #3 and the corrected drawing #3
H Park

Re: Bad inbetween

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for this, H Park. This is one of the pitfalls of the system as it's in place - the sakkan's corrections come before the inbetweening, which can often ruin the sakkan's work. It's true there is an inbetween checker role, but it's clear that in many cases they just wouldn't have time to correct the inbetweens even if they wanted to. This is where the recent FMA movie is interesting - the sakkan Konishi expressly asked the studio to arrange things so he'd have time to correct the inbetweens, something I've never heard of.
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Bad inbetween

Postby H Park » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:52 pm

It sounds like a serious problem in the industry when Konishi specifically requested for overall control of inbetweens. It's not good when they don't have decent inbetween staffs who can handle feature level animation.
H Park

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion