Make a GIF animation and post it.

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Postby bahijd » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:41 am

Huw M wrote:
I too look forward to the forming of 'STUDIO ANIBBS'.

Me too! I like the Studio Name Huw M! STUDIO ANIBBS!!! Sounds cool.
bahijd

Postby timdrage » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Ben those are amazing!!! Really funny/creepy mysterious creatures, great stuff.
Tim Drage - Animator, Noisician
http://www.spiteyourface.com - animation
http://www.cementimental.com - noise
timdrage

Postby Leedar » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Sorry that it is drawn badly. I was anxious to see the movement.
Leedar

Postby Ben » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Leedar - love the feeling of weight and momentum in the swing. Even in the rudimentary drawing it comes through.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby pete » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am

Me too, me too!

it is a long time since I got bothered with animation from a practical point but here it is my masterpiece....it just took 15-20 minutes

pete

Postby Balak » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 am

i did this this morning, it was a while since i've animated something.
it's a bit random because it's just straight ahead animation, making things up as i was drawing.
Balak

Postby bahijd » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:25 am

Yo Balak!
Nice angle on the animation.
The running scene looks good
and the emotions on the characters are nice.
bahijd

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Pete - I like your economical use of drawings. It works great for the movement of the fish.

Balak - Wow, it's great to have a pro join the fray. Amazing work. I could watch that thing for an hour straight. For a straight-ahead practice piece, you come up with some exciting split-second camera work and fighting moves. I hope you'll get the chance to put that talent to use in a pro context.

This is utterly inconsequential compared to the awesomeness of the short film drawn one morning by such a talent, but I thought I'd throw it out just to keep the ball rolling.

I've been watching lots of 80s anime lately, particularly TV stuff, and I've become kind of fascinated by the efficiency of the animation in the TV anime of that age - not even necessarily the good stuff, but even the bad stuff. The way they'll create a loop of, say, two drawings for a shot of the water in a sewer. It looks like crap if you stop and pay attention to it, but when it just passes by rapidly in a few seconds it doesn't look so bad (particularly in the context of an entire episode of similar animation) and works in its own lo-fi way. I find it admirable when they can make such efficiency work to their advantage.

Anyway... I wanted to try my hand at such a thing, so I decided to create this study of a ship in a minimalistic warp using exactly six drawings. I tried it first by eyeballing it, and it turned out... not quite how I intended, although it has a certain chaotic charm.

Then I took the time to map the trajectories and plan it through more carefully, and it turned out a little more how I intended.

And so it was that Ben learned the importance of proper inbetweens.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Huw M » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm

It is very important to keep the ball rolling after Balak posted something so amazing! So here is some crap. It is my shoddy re-enactment of Remy from 3s doing Light of Virtue!

Charge B, F + P/K >:D

It is great to see that all the comments in this thread are so encouranging. Leedar, the swinging dude is great. Pete, I like the chunky movement of the fish things at the start. The timing is just right. Balak, that gif is brilliant. I love the rest of the drawings on your blog too. And Ben, it's great to see that you've been bitten by the animation bug. They both look great. I particularly like the expanding circle + lines on the first one. Now all you need is a spaceship, a cast of characters, and an epic story - boom, instant space-opera.

If you know what 3s is, you and I will get along just fine.
Huw M

Postby Balak » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 am

my, my, i don't think this gif is worth all the praises but i'm really glad you all liked it!
i've not done any pro animation per se yet, just in a short film ( http://www.arte.tv/fr/mouvement-de-cine ... 28384.html) and an animated sequence in a live action movie, 99 francs (but it's not very good for many reasons).
I only do storyboards for tv shows for a living.

but i've got friends in japan who's finally made it to genga, on the upcoming serie Basquash and on Casshern Sins. You should check their work out, it's amazing. these guys are pro!

btw, nice gifs ben, the second one is more effective as you said, the first one is a bit too "wobbling"

hum w: it's cool but abit strange, seems like the throwing movement is opposing the swirling anticipation you've made... don't know if i'm clear...
Balak

Postby Leedar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:38 am

I'm quite disappointed that my brain died before I got to the animation stage of this scene. It was originally 10 sec+. And better quality. :P

Leedar

Postby Huw M » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:36 pm

Balak: I understand what you're saying...I just chucked it together in a few minutes, but I'll fix it sometime. Thanks for the advice! Btw, who are your friends in the industry? I'll keep an eye out for french names in the credits of those shows...

Leedar: The movement of the hand on the girls shoulder is great. Are you making a short film or something?
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Afraid not... though I suppose it is a good idea if I have free time. I'm almost confident enough to think I do vaguely competent animation. Went to a couple of the bigger NZ studios and they said they weren't hiring. So work prospects look a little gloomy at the moment, especially for someone without work experience.
Leedar

Postby Balak » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:39 am

hum w> my friends currently working in japan are eddie mehong (douga and genga), yann legall (layout BG), alexandre ullman (douga and genga) and Anaïs Chevillard (douga and genga). There is also christophe ferreira who was a teacher at my school.
Balak

Postby bahijd » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Balak wrote:hum w> my friends currently working in japan are eddie mehong (douga and genga), yann legall (layout BG), alexandre ullman (douga and genga) and Anaïs Chevillard (douga and genga). There is also christophe ferreira who was a teacher at my school.

That's great! So we (non-japanese people) made it into the japanese animation industy....and I thought Arias is the only one .....there is a france key-animator who works for ghibli too.
I have to fix much more on Anatomy now.
bahijd

PreviousNext

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion