Make a GIF animation and post it.

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 am

heh, I guess the problem is the computer is the easiest way for me to animate... (although drawing on paper would considerably increase the accuracy of my drawings)

How do you draw so clean in that pixel program? Patience?
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:51 am

How do you draw so clean in that pixel program? Patience?

Eh? Me? Well...frankly I have found, after a long time of figuring out how to learn to draw, that the tools you use are completely irrelevant and that it's the mental process that's important. I've been rereading this: http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Bra ... 0874775132 lately and the more I do the exercises the better I feel I get at being able to 'image' a form/shape onto the paper/screen and therefore am able to cleanly draw the necessary line. Although I've found it to be an uphill battle learning to patiently observe and draw things it has been well worth it. It's definitely required reading for any aspiring artist/animator.

Er...and the program doesn't have anti-aliasing so it comes out looking like that if that's what you mean. And I use the straight line tool a fair bit. But bottom line is, drawing has nothing to do with the tools. I can understand why artists roll their eyes when young fans ask 'what sort of pen/pencil do you use?'...If anyone besides me is interested maybe we should start a 'learning to draw' thread.
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:00 am

Oh, I'm not asking about your general drawing ability, but being able to draw accurately on the computer. My drawings are messy mostly because of the weirdness and inaccuracy of using a tablet (although I would disagree with the notion that drawing clean lines straight off is always the ideal). Do you have some sort of high quality tablet? Or perhaps mine is exceptionally bad...

Also, I did start on that book, but gave up once I finally understood that drawing isn't magic.
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 am

Ah. Well I do have a high-quality tablet, a Wacom Intuos 3 - But I haven't been using it to make GIF's, I've just been using my mouse...which I think is beside the point.

Edit: Damn you and your stealth edits! Re:
Also, I did start on that book, but gave up once I finally understood that drawing isn't magic.

Whaddaya mean by that?
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:07 am

Mouse? Whoa, got some skills there Huw. 8)

Edit: What I meant is that I think I understood the basic point(s) of the book. The later exercises didn't seem practical to me at the time.
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:19 am

Aha, thankyou :) But really I don't.

I think all the exercises in the book are very important, simply to strengthen your perceptive ability. The first step I took in beginning to learn to draw was to learn to actually enjoy a process I had always found frustrating and counter-intuitive...And that book really helped in that regard. Anyway, sorry for tl;dr, but I'm adamant that it comes down to the way you 'see' rather than any particular computer tools. I could draw just as well with mayonnaise on a blackboard :\
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Huw M wrote:Anyway, sorry for tl;dr, but I'm adamant that it comes down to the way you 'see' rather than any particular computer tools. I could draw just as well with mayonnaise on a blackboard :\

Of course, this was never my point... although, Flash gives you fancy lines regardless of skill. :P

I was thinking my animations (except for the ball) perhaps should be stripped out because I didn't use EasyToon. :?:
Leedar

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:56 pm

Something I did for fun (I've been trying to make stuff for my reel, believe it or not :? ):

Leedar

Postby danno » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:42 am

Well, I wanted to post my animated gifs but the forum tells me I've gotta have 1 post before I can post URL's. So, this is that 1 post.
danno

Postby danno » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:42 am

All of these were made on http://flipbook.in/

danno

Postby Leedar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:45 pm

heheh. Nice simple style. :) I like the bouncing blue guy.
Leedar

Postby bahijd » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:14 am

I made this one today when I woke up.

I didn't spend much time on the last explosions.....they are actually made for the repeat position. (finished all in 3 hours)

Danno! Very funny animated!
Huw M! Great animations! Very well done! (^_^)

Leedar the guy who throws something looks nice!

I was a long time not here.....I'm in hurry because I didn't finished my school projects jet....I'm free after Thursday.
bahijd

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Huw M wrote:I'll second Tim in saying I'm looking forward to your flipbook animation (ha, now you *have* to make one \( ̄▽ ̄)/ )

Alright, since you insisted - my virgin doodles. :)

Starting nice and easy, as you can see. I'll try more complex things once I work up my courage. 'Straight ahead' indeed - just made it up as I went along.

I dig the pill guy, danno, and as ever, you're got real fire, Bahijd, especially that early in the morning! All those cycles Leedar posted look good to me, though especially the guy in the couch and the last walk cycle. The looseness of the last one is nice.

I myself read that Betty Edwards book a few years back and it had me drawing furiously for a while. If it hadn't been for that book, I almost certainly would never have even tried. But I haven't drawn in a few years now, so I'm kind of rusty, and it feels doubly hard trying to do animation.. plus I've got to learn how to use this newfangled toy I just got, the pen tablet.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Leedar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:36 pm

ha ha, we'll be some sort of amateur production team before you know it. 8)
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Danno: I like the bouncing blue dude as well! And the guy who zips left and right. Reminds me of Bleach or something.
Bahi: Awesome gif. I like the frenetic movement of the monsters head and the eye-trails. A bit like what Shingo Yamashita did in Birdy recently.
Ben: Ben! If you didn't insist your awesome yokai things were 'virgin doodles' I'd never have guessed. I make my things up as I go along mostly as well...I look forward to seeing your next efforts...you're a natural.

I too look forward to the forming of 'STUDIO ANIBBS'.
Huw M

PreviousNext

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion