Make a GIF animation and post it.

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Postby timdrage » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:51 pm

OT in that I made it with the puppet tool in After Effects. Just an instant mouse doodle of seperate arms, legs and body but I like the way he looks! The only point was to figure out a good way to use puppet tool with different limbs as different layers (so as to overlap/interact better) while still being connected together, (puppet pins connected via expressions and all layers parented to the same null object to move him around/scale without bits getting detatched.) Surprisingly difficult.

But yeahhh i accidentally ended up with this which amuses me no end.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
timdrage

Postby Huw M » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm

lol. I cannot stop watching this loop. Was this a test for that environmental short you posted in the other thread? Great little short btw.

Some bits and pieces I had floating around on my HDD:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Huw M

Postby timdrage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 am

Thanks! ^_^ No but it's a development of the same kind of techniques I used on that film, trying to figure out best way of doing hybrid cutout/puppet tool stuff for future projects...
Tim Drage - Animator, Noisician
http://www.spiteyourface.com - animation
http://www.cementimental.com - noise
timdrage

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:29 pm

I also really enjoyed your film you posted in the other thread, Tim, as well as your accidental masterpiece of a loop. The heta-uma iPhone shorts are inspirational. I downloaded FlipBook Lite for the iPhone myself, but haven't had time to play around with it yet, and seeing those makes me want to.

I dig all those test pieces, Huw, especially the bottom middle one with the laser-shooting orb thing. The timing is great.
Ben
Site Admin

Postby timdrage » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks, glad you liked! I wish we'd got more proper animation in there, actually did quite a few whole scenes that ended up totally changed and compromised at the last minute but I'm fairly pleased with how it came out considering all that. The stop motion aliens were done by Tine Kluth and there was a whole really nice sequence with them that got cut, I will see if I can post it some time,...

FlipBook is really fun, I need to do more with that. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!
Tim Drage - Animator, Noisician
http://www.spiteyourface.com - animation
http://www.cementimental.com - noise
timdrage

Postby Huw M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks Ben! I'm glad you like 'em. I'm quite fond of the laser-shooting orb thingy myself. Although I'll spend more than a few minutes on any future gifs I make, I just wanted to keep the thread going. I think it's particularly cool how we've so far had all different sorts of gif animation, not just Japanese style anime gifs.

I'll second Tim in saying I'm looking forward to your flipbook animation (ha, now you *have* to make one \( ̄▽ ̄)/ )

If you highlighted this you must make a GIF and post it.
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Huw M wrote:If you highlighted this you must make a GIF and post it.

You didn't say it had to be good! :P

Surely I've got a marvellous future in animation ahead...
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Hey, everybody's gotta start somewhere, and the bouncing ball is a good place to start :)
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 am

Edit: or

Last edited by Leedar on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leedar

Postby Huw M » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 am

Nice work on that guy getting up, leedar. You didn't need to take down the walk cycle though - it was good!
Huw M

Postby Leedar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:11 am

Er, here is the angry walk cycle again:

Leedar

Postby Niffiwan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:01 pm

I LOVE the throwing ball animation. It shows a lot of personality. The walk cycle, on the other hand, does not.
My blog about Russian animation: Animatsiya in English
Niffiwan

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:40 am

A fairly 'legal' walk cycle. Sorry for copping out on the upper body again. I don't want to force it.

I am trying to draw a freestyle walk cycle like that throw, but I don't have the concentration or confidence it seems.
Leedar

Postby Leedar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 am

Straight-ahead walk cycle

Leedar

Postby Huw M » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 am

I really like that last walk cycle you posted Leedar. It shows more 'feeling' than the first one.

As for not having the concentration to animate, well that's something I experience as well. It's definitely hard to keep focus on gif animating when 'oh look I can just alt-tab to youtube, then facebook, then slashdot, etc' - But I've found a great method for improving concentration is blind contour drawing, as per http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/drawingl ... rblind.htm - As well as staying away from the drat computer at all costs! I personally reckon I'll never improve unless I stay away from this thing. Er. except to post on anibbs of course.

Huw M

PreviousNext

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion