Mamoru Hosoda's Howl's Moving Castle

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Mamoru Hosoda's Howl's Moving Castle

Postby Manuloz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 am

Mandarake had an auction for Howl's Moving Castle storyboard recently. It was bound to happen some pictures showed up online.

I already asked Ben if it was too good to be true and we came to the same conclusion drawing and handwriting looks like Mamoru Hosoda. Plus the castle has his design like you can see here :

http://www.toho.co.jp/movienews/lu2002/yoga.html#2

Actually it would be sad if it wasn't... think of the person who bought it on mandarake ^^'

Thx to 2chan for the pics :

Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

We already discussed somewhere the reasons of the departure of Hosoda from the production, if you missed it rumors says it was caused by a clash with Katsuya Kondo.

By the way, One Piece movie 6 was sort of a metaphore to Hosoda's Ghibli Adventure but which captain was he ?
I have low comprehension skills...
Manuloz

Postby Reggaenights » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Upon seeing Tokikake, one of my thoughts was "wow, I wish Hosoda had directed Howl's..."

thanks for the pics Manuloz, and btw, where is the thread where that rumor is discussed?

Reggaenights

Postby Manuloz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Actually i think it was on the blog comments that the rumor was discussed but then i could post it here (it's not that long).

Ben has already reported of Hosoda first arrival there when the studio was still working on Chihiro so he had to find staff by himself.
Then more info kicked in form of a rumor on 2chan that said, he had already finished the most part of the storyboard. He stopped in the middle of C part.

Animation production had started but animation director Katsuya Kondo was not happy at all with Hosoda's work. Apparently he did not like Hosoda's style not enough Ghibli-ish.
To displease Hosoda when layout stopped by his desk, he would not correct them.
in the end there was a dispute and Hosoda returned to Toei Animation.

Miyazaki finished Howl's and Hosoda directed Magical Doremie Dokkan #40...

Manuloz

Postby Reggaenights » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Wow, for a rumor, that sounds quite believable actually. I was expecting something in the magnitude of the Goro/Hayao Miyazaki scandal, if you could call it that. It really is too bad, but then again, Hosoda moving to Madhouse seems quite natural since they have done projects that would fit into the Ghibli mold - Nasu and Nasu 2 come to mind.

Reggaenights

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion